The annual meeting. It is a lot of work to put together, it is a big expense not only in the cost of the meeting but the loss of employee productivity...
...and your team might not be all that excited to go.
I have been both the attendee and the creator of many Annual Meetings...and I will freely admit that I've been to and put together some very good and not so good meetings.
The 'a-ha' moment that drastically improved the quality and content of our meetings was asking one simple question:
If our team received the meeting agenda and content as an 'advertisement'...no company logo, no hint that this was coming from their employer...would they invest their own money and time to attend?
It was a question that completely changed how we approached our annual meeting.
Think about it...have you ever attended a seminar for professional development? What were you expecting?
- Information that was extremely pertinent to you for your personal and professional growth that could be used the moment you came back
- To receive that information in an engaging manner from great communicators
- To develop great relationships with the people that you are attending the seminar
- Low to no hassle in getting in/around/out so the focus is on the meeting and not the logistics of the meeting
- And...let's shoot high...inspiration
So what's the difference between what you expect from the seminar that you paid for and what your people expect from your annual meeting?
Instead of creating a meeting that they "have" to go to, create a meeting that, if they saw the content as an advertisement, they would be scrambling for their credit card to punch in the numbers on the computer to reserve their spot because "seating is limited"!
Will this mean more work? Yes. Will this demand more creativity? Absolutely.
But in the end, will people feel respected, inspired and be able to make a positive difference for your Customers and the Team when they get back...
...without a doubt!