Many of you are in the midst of strategic planning. Many hours are being spent figuring out how to be better, different, etc. But from where is your starting point? Are you trying to make incremental improvements from a suboptimal plan, structure, partnership, personnel? Or are you clearing the tables and asking these questions:
If I was starting from scratch...
- ...how would I start my business?
- ...what customer segment(s) would I be going after?
- ...what personnel would I want to have on my team?
- ...how would I be communicating to my customers?
- ...what products/services would I sell?
- ...what would I stop doing?
Starting from scratch is the Zero Based Strategic Planning mindset that is necessary to succeed in these rapidly changing times.
My old boss used to say "Strategy can be like potato salad, if you haven't tended to it in awhile, then it will go bad."
Does all of this take more time? You bet.
Can't do the entire company right now? No problem, start with a department, business unit, process, product line...whatever...but shake your team up with some of these questions because looking at history is...well, history.